Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Strength Through Generations

The morning of my confirmation in spring of 2004, I opened a small box to find a dull gold necklace inside. I took the necklace out and turned it over in my hand, examining the tiny worn chain that held a small gold cross with an opaque gem in the center. Clearly an ancient piece of jewelry, I knew I had seen it before but could not quite place where. My mom watched as I contemplated this, and then sat to tell me its origins. This tiny treasure had belonged to her grandmother and then was passed down to her mother, on to my mom and finally to me. The necklace was more than just an heirloom, however; it held years of memories, perseverance and, above all, strength.


I have few memories of my great-grandmother. What I do remember is a sweet, frail woman whose home always smelled like a mixture of her late husband’s woodwork creations and my favorite “m & m party cookies.” She passed on her favorite cookie recipes to her daughter, my grandmother, of whom I have a few more memories. Playing “good ball, bad ball,” sharing the best ice cream treats, and watching soap operas that I didn’t comprehend one bit are among the things that stand out to me. At the time, I never would have imagined that this ill woman had suffered from depression issues for most of her life. To me, she was full of happiness and laughter.


My mother possesses many of these characteristics, and the strength that has been a part of her family for so long is the most apparent. Faced with any obstacle, my mother prevails. Upon opening this small piece of jewelry, I knew it meant more than just a pretty accessory. The cross necklace represents the strength of my mother’s side of the family, the strength that I can only hope to one day have.

No comments: