Thursday, December 11, 2008

Class Reflection

I feel this English course has absolutely been a learning experience for me; I like to think that my writing has much improved since the beginning of this semester. I’ve learned to observe and analyze scenes and pieces of art, rhetorically analyze writing, speeches and pieces of art, and combine observance with reflection. I certainly feel that I know more about the use of writing jargon – pathos, ethos, logos, among others – and how to employ them directly into my writing. I’ve also discovered, through much discussion and debate, that multi-media IS a form of essay, and we can incorporate these forms of work into writings to enrich them. I now know exactly how to do that, by having to repeatedly include hyperlinks, videos and pictures to my writing. Previously, I had not given much thought to including multi-media into my writing; it had always been standard boring writing. However, it is clear to me now that such inclusions enhance writings and, if done correctly, make a piece more visually pleasing.

My attitude about writing has not changed drastically; I have never hated it but have never felt it was quite what I am best at either. I cannot say a love for writing has been instilled in me, but I do feel I know now how to make my writing better and that makes writing (and being finished) all the more enjoyable.

I’ve realized the importance of brainstorming and gathering ideas and details before beginning my actual writing. Details, it turns out, can make or break a piece of writing – we learning this from the very beginning in our observational/reflective writings, where I had to closely observe minute details at the Sunken Gardens in Lincoln. I will now always use the process of picking out details to make my writing as descriptive as possible, as I know this is very important. The process of brainstorming, listing and taking notes as the first step is very beneficial to me, I am then able to gather my thoughts and organize what I am trying to say. Peer-reviewing with other students has also become an important part of my writing process. Though I’ve done it before, I think making it mandatory that our classmates reviewed our work was very helpful. They know exactly what to look for since they have the same assignments, so are better able to give ideas that will be helpful. I often have people outside the classroom critique papers as well, but have found that when a classmate does it they offer better suggestions simply because they know the material and what I should be focusing on. I have been able to heavily revise my papers because of classmates’ suggestions. In addition to classmates, conferencing with professors or tutors is very valuable to me, because who knows better what they are looking for than themselves? After conferencing, I feel I know exactly what I can do to make my writing fit what the professor is looking for, which may vary from professor to professor.

“Good writing” is a pretty difficult concept to grasp – one person might think a work is great while another looks at the same work and considers it trash. I think we can always strive to make our writing better, and this is what is done through peer reviews, revision, and exercises such as “cubing.” Improving my writing is why these practices have been so valuable to me. In evaluating the writing of others, I am able to look for those same things that I strive to improve in my own writing. I think it is always helpful to get different perspectives on writing, so you can enrich works. Writing is a tool I feel will be important to me not only in the classroom, but in the world throughout my life.

No comments: