Thursday, November 20, 2008

Timothy Liu Extra Credit

Poet Tim Liu described in one of his poems a typical Nebraskan scene, or at least what an outsider likely views as typical. Liu begins the poem, entitled “Off I-80,” with a reference to the sumac on the sides of the exit of the interstate. Sumac is a feature all Nebraskans are familiar with, and the mention of the interstate and sumac draws us in, as we are always interested in those things close to home. Liu goes on to tell of the cornfields to both sides of the road, and the gravel road that turns to dirt and kicks up mud. Most Nebraskans are familiar with this scene.

Liu then spoke about bingo games that only Nebraskans would enjoy, hot dogs and funnel cakes no others would be as delighted by, and well-respected firefighters closing off streets for a small-town parade. This scene, too, is probably a familiar scene to most Nebraskans. Though we know that there is more to our state than cornfields and small-town parades, these things are a large part of Nebraskan life and their importance should be recognized. To me, this hits home especially hard because of my youth in Western Nebraska, where cows outnumber people by a long shot. I prefer cornfields on either side of me to streetlights and honking horns; I prefer knowing my whole town to feeling lost in a crowd. This lifestyle is what is familiar to me, and it is home to me. For this reason, the poem stuck out to me; I could very well relate and that is what draws audience in most effectively: being able to relate.

No comments: